Private Medical Insurance
If you are covered by medical insurance and want to book an appointment, contact our bookings team on 01273 828 030.
When using medical insurance, make sure to contact your insurance company to check that you are covered for your planned treatment, including your first out-patient appointment. In order to obtain treatment funded by an insurance company you will need to:
- Obtain a referral from your GP
- Confirm cover with your insurer at each stage of your treatment
- Provide details of your cover and authorisation for treatment to us
Obtaining a GP referral for treatment funded by an insurance company
Simply visit your GP and ask them to refer you to a consultant who practises at The Montefiore Hospital. Your GP will write a letter of referral and then either you or your GP can contact us to arrange your first out-patient appointment.
Your insurer may require your GP to complete some sections of a claim form. Your GP may make a nominal charge for this.
Once you and your consultant have agreed on the treatment needed, we will arrange your admission for a time that fits in with your other priorities and commitments.
Confirming cover with your insurer
You are responsible for the costs of your treatment so it is important you understand the cover your insurer will provide.
The best way to ensure your insurance company will cover your treatment costs is to contact them prior to each stage of treatment, including your first out-patient appointment and any diagnostics, to inform them of your treatment details and confirm cover.
Claims processes differ from insurer to insurer, they will guide you through the process. Click here to see a list of insurance company contact details.
If your cover is provided by your employer, you will need to follow the claims process specific to your scheme.
- Contact your private medical insurance company and check that you are covered for the planned treatment, including your first out-patient appointment. Obtain a claim form if required by your insurer.
- Obtain an authorisation code from your insurer and advise the patient administrator of this when you attend hospital.
- Check your policy for any limits on the amount you can claim on certain types of treatment. Most policies will have an annual excess and limits, for example, on the amount payable for outpatient treatment and/or diagnostics.
- Bring your policy documentation with you even if you have attended a Spire hospital before.
- If your insurer requires a claim form:
- Bring your claim form with you when you attend your first out-patient appointment
- Inform the bookings team if you have a claim form and if it is already with your consultant, GP or insurance company
- If you are being admitted for in-patient or day-case treatment, please hand your claim form to the patient administrator so that we may arrange for the medical section to be completed by your consultant.
- Make sure you have completed and signed the "patient/member" section on the claim form.
- To make things easier for you we have direct settlement arrangements with the major UK insurers and your insurer will normally settle your bills from The Montefiore and your consultants directly. You will need to pay any insurance excess or shortfall.
If you do not have private medical insurance:
Paying for your own healthcare is a quick and simple way to immediately access the many benefits of private medical care and you don’t always need a GP referral. You can book a self-pay appointment by calling 01273 828 148.
Medical loans are available as an alternative way to self-pay for your treatment if you choose not to pay in one lump sum. Through our carefully chosen partner, Zebra Heath Finance we offer a range of different plans, including a 0% interest option.
Spire Healthcare has worked in partnership with award winning insurance provider April UK, to create ‘inSpire’ – an innovative private medical insurance plan that offers exceptional value for money for use in all Spire hospitals.