- Management of gallstones
- Oesophageal and gastric cancer surgery
- Keyhole minimally invasive surgery
- Laparoscopic hernia surgery
- Gallbladder / gallstone removal (cholecystectomy)
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS Eng)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- The British Hernia Society
- Member of the European Association for Cancer Research
Mr Antonios Athanasiou is one of Brighton’s leading surgeons. Practicing at the University hospitals of Sussex NHS Trust and the Montefiore Hospital. He specialises in minimally invasive keyhole surgery techniques including laparoscopic surgery for gallbladder disease, inguinal hernia, acid reflux, and gastrointestinal conditions. He also assists with diagnosis and treatment using upper GI endoscopy.
Mr Athanasiou began his career in general surgery in 2006. During his training, he completed three fellowships in esophago-gastric surgery under the tutorage of leading surgeons. He has achieved extensive experience in upper gastrointestinal and bariatric surgery and offers all types of minimally invasive treatments.
Whilst he was training, Mr Athanasiou gained his PhD in liver regeneration which has been published widely. His research interests have included minimally invasive surgical techniques, improvement of patient care through innovation and the metabolic implications of obesity. He has been widely published in numerous field-related, peer-reviewed journals.
Mr Athanasiou will provide you with an experienced and honest account of the options, risks and benefits of advanced laparoscopic surgery, putting your safety and well-being as the first priority.