Prof Gianfilippo Bertelli
MD PhD FRCP (Edin)
- Hormone therapy and targeted treatments for early and advanced breast cancer
- ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- ESMO (European Society of Medical Oncology)
- ACP (Association of Cancer Physicians)
- ACCOG (Anglo-Celtic Co-operative Oncology Group)
- BMA (British Medical Association)
I am a Consultant Medical Oncologist at the Sussex Cancer Centre in Brighton, and Honorary Clinical Professor for the Brighton and Sussex Medical School. My career started in Genoa, Italy, where I qualified as MD in 1986. I worked as a Medical Oncologist at the National Cancer Institute in Genoa and at the Santa Croce Hospital in Cuneo (Piedmont) before moving to the UK in 2002. I have been a Consultant Medical Oncologist at Singleton Hospital (Swansea) and an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Swansea until February 2018. I have served as clinical lead of the South West Wales Cancer Research Network, and as a member of the Breast Cancer Study Group of the NCRI (National Cancer Research Institute). I obtained a PhD from the University of Maastricht in 2007 for my research on anti-hormone treatment of breast cancer; I am Author or co-Author of more than 100 scientific publications.
Outside work my interests are reading, travelling and spending time outdoors; I like walking and cycling, and I am enjoying the fine weather in the South Coast after many years spent in beautiful, but rainy South Wales.