Mr David Redfern
MBBS, FRCS(Lon), FRCS(Tr&Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon - Foot & ankle surgery including sports injuries and trauma
Foot and Ankle
Foot & ankle surgery including sports injuries and trauma
- Minimally invasive surgery of the foot & ankle
- Hallux valgus (bunions)
- Hallux rigidus
- Foot & ankle arthritis
- Achilles tendonitis and tendon rupture
- Ankle replacement
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Plantar fasciitis
- Sports injuries including ankle sprain and instability
- Foot & ankle trauma
- Deformity correction and complex cases
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Orthopaedic Association
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- European Foot & Ankle Society (Chair of Scientific Committee)
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (served on council 2009-2011)
- GRECMIP (UK council)
- EFORT (European Federation National Associations Trauma & Orthopaedics)(Scientific Advisor)
- International review panel for Foot & Ankle International (since 2005)
- Royal Society of Medicine
Mr David Redfern graduated from London in 1993 and continued his postgraduate training in London and Cambridge. He completed fellowships in the United States at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore), and in Bristol at the Avon Orthopaedic Centre. In 2004, he was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals.
Mr Redfern has extensive experience in the treatment of foot and ankle disorders, trauma and sports injuries, including arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery. He lectures and trains consultant surgeons both nationally and internationally in foot and ankle surgery with a particular interest in minimally invasive and arthroscopic surgery. He has trained more than 150 surgeons worldwide in these techniques.
Mr David Redfern runs a comprehensive foot and ankle service at The Montefiore Hospital in Hove and works closely with local general practitioners, podiatrists and physiotherapists to create an expert multidisciplinary service for patients. He is happy to advise patients on all types of foot and ankle problems from bunions to arthritis to sports injuries and trauma.
Beyond his passion for his work, Mr Redfern enjoys the great outdoors with interests in sailing, windsurfing, snowboarding and travel.
Indirectly holds a 2.08% share in Montefiore House Limited, which owns Montefiore Hospital. Owns 100% of the Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy machine used at the hospital.